- Peel but do not wash the kolokasi. Kolokasi should never be sliced or diced as it will not become soft during cooking. Instead, prepare it by inserting a firm knife into the root, then twisting it to break off bite-sized pieces.
- Sauté the kolokasi in a little olive oil until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a deep saucepan and add the meat together with all the remaining ingredients except the parsley and lemon juice.
- Cover with water or stock.
- Simmer gently until the meat is fully cooked, then add the lemon juice and parsley.
Tip: Never add lemon juice during cooking, as the kolokasi will become hard.
Kolokasi can be also cooked with chicken instead of pork, or even without meat for a vegetarian dish.
1 kg kolokasi (taro) root
½ kg pork (lean belly pork or shoulder) cut into large cubes
6 tbsp olive oil
1 head of fresh celery, diced
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
4 firm red tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 small stick cinnamon
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper to season
½ cup dry red wine
Water or stock